Tuesday, August 13, 2013

with the fam in natchez



It is hot in Natchez in August, still some of us didn't want to leave without one last spin through town. There is no better way to spin than on a horse driven carriage. Spinning around town with some of my favorite folks makes it all the better.
Not much has changed since my last spin by carriage.
Stately Stanton Hall looks just the same, as always. The same as when I was in Natchez last March, the same as when I was in Natchez fifteen and  twenty and twenty five years ago.
The Eola, where we stayed on our first night in Natchez this trip looked pretty much the same as when we've stayed there trips before, years ago.
As we passed by the house once owned by the actor George Hamilton, once painted pink and then purple it was impossible not to notice it is now a sedate cream. One of my nephews had been to a wedding there recently.
We caught sight of a cat crawling onto the porch of the bed and breakfast near the depot owned by a classmate of the same nephew.
The churches, the old jail, the homes, so much the same that I was cheered and comforted despite the uncomfortable heat. We cooled off with tall yellow glasses of iced drinks at Fat Mama's. Some of our party ate Tamales. I settled for Chips, Salsa and Fire and Ice pickles.
It was a fun, however short and hot, time with our folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment