Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Blue and White thing, Part 2

My Grandma gave me her Grandma's blue and white plate once I was grown and married. At various times, it sat on  plate stands in various rooms of my house. It was knocked over and broken by a small child( who will remain nameless here.) After that, it hung on the wall in various rooms, high out of reach. Eventually, it came to reside in my china cabinet. Thereafter, other pieces of blue and white china came to live there, too.

Being creatures of habit and repetition in our family, one piece of china/pottery/procelain led to another until, eventually, there was a lot of it.  Most birthdays, Christmases,  Mother's Days, I got at least one blue and white thing. I began to collect blue and white plate souvenirs when we traveled. Ultimately, only my angel Christmas ornament collection could compete with the blue and white.
Most of the items are inexpensive. The value of them largely sentimental.
I would add here that much of it is utilitarian.  The dishes that we use everyday are blue willow. My "good" dishes are Lochs of Scotland. We use those only on special occasions, as the pieces are hard to fine should they need to be replaced. Still both were purchased originally with trading stamps from grocery stores. Other pieces: vases and plates and platters, I use constantly.
At one point, my long time friend, Mossy, and I were discussing our transition from a colonial style home to a money pit we called "the lodge."
I have someone helping me arrange things so that there is a good fit, I told her.
Came  then her reply, but "but does your person understand the blue and white thing?"
"I believe she does," I assured her. When we met over a table full of paint and carpet samples, my person told me she planned to "group" all of my blue and white things into one room.
I called Mossy with the news. My person does not understand the blue and white thing!
And actually, I am not sure I understand the blue and white thing, either. I just know I like blue and white. A lot. Probably for the reason I referenced in my previous blog post. At least that's the best explanation I can come up with.

1 comment:

  1. Putting all your blue and white in only one room, is like being a McKenzie only one day a week. It just can't happen!

    ReplyDelete