Tuesday, November 1, 2016

All Hallow's Eve





Downtown where I live, the merchants give out candy to Trick-or-Treaters on Halloween afternoon. My office is a block off main street, so I wasn’t sure how many little visitors I would have. Still, I moved a chair out onto the sidewalk and sat with a big bag of candy in one hand and a treatise in the other. The idea of participating in a community event while doing research for work appealed to me.
The Hub, who had walked around the stores and other businesses with our grandbaby, and I ran home to change for an event at church called “Trunk or Treat.”  An area of the church parking lot was roped off for vehicles decorated and stocked with candy.
We showed up to help dressed as Mary Poppins and Bert the Chimneysweep. Those particular costumes have been on my list for many moons.  They were not as well planned and executed as I may have liked but they sufficed.





That my eldest daughter was a penguin was icing on the cake, though we didn’t actually see her until the Saturday after Halloween. She attended a party with us at the farm of close friends of ours. Now these particular friends know how to throw a holiday party. We’ve spent the better part of the fourth of July with them for years. There is red, white and blue everywhere: from pool floats to streamers to paper napkins. We visit and dine under tents and awnings.
It should come as no surprise then that  the barn was draped in black with spooky lanterns and candles and jack o’ lanterns everywhere. The food was fantastic, as per usual.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment