Tuesday, December 3, 2013

a perfect thanksgiving setting



My sister and brother in law hosted Thanksgiving dinner for the fam at their lake house.

It has to be the most perfect autumn holiday house in the world.

At least for me it is.
I decided when I was still in elementary school that this particular spot was one of the prettiest places on earth. The picture to the left is what I remember looking at when I made this particular decision.


Why I was at this particular lake at this particular time,  I am not sure.
I remember there being other little girls, there , all of us dressed up. There were growns up there, too.
I rather think it was a women's church group and that I was with my grandmother; as I was as often as I could manage it.
I remember warm apple cider with red hots.
I remember looking across the lake at the fall leaves and thinking that it was the prettiest place I had maybe ever seen.
Now I grew up in a house that sat up on a hill over looking a forest my sisters and I considered enchanted.
The walks we took  and the time we spent playing there seemed only to confirm this opinion.
The flora and fauna there were incredible to my little mind.
Looking out the great window of our house toward the woods during the months of autumn was an incredible sight. I say that to say I was used to pretty sights, especially in the fall.
Still the lake site impressed me enough that I remember it 40 years later.
This is why I feel especially blessed to be able to spend Thanksgiving there with my family.
A blessed setting. A blessed people. A blessed holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment