Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Monopoly wife

I heard a story recently about a woman who was the kind of wife I desire to be. The story, as I understood it, is about a man who lost (most) everything and became increasingly hopeless and despondent. He was encouraged by his wife to do something fun (if not productive) with his time and the result was incredible.
Here is how wikipedia describes the man: Charles Brace Darrow (August 10, 1889 – August 29, 1967)

After losing his job at a sales company following the Stock Market Crash of 1929, Darrow worked at various odd jobs. Seeing his neighbors and acquaintances play a home-made board game in which the object was to buy and sell property, he decided to publish his own version of the game, with the help of his first son, William, and his wife Ester. Darrow marketed his version of the game under the name Monopoly.

Now in my marriage there have been good times and bad times. We married very young but we also married for better or worse. Apparently we both meant it but it is only because of Jesus that we are still married after all these years. 
This is especially true because in times of crisis (and we've had plenty of those) I am more prone to panic and complain and often to blame than to encourage. Knowing this about myself, I have endeavored and am endeavoring to, instead be an encourager.
My man might not develop something that is in the closet or cabinet of just about everyone I know. But then, you never know...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment