Thursday, February 6, 2014

That's so sweet!

It's  day 6 of the February draw challenge.  Today's task is to draw my favorite dessert or sweet. Trouble is, I can't figure out what to draw. I do not know what my favorite dessert or sweet is.
For me, it depends on the time and place.,
It has changed over various periods of life.
The earliest dessert favorite I recall is cheesecake.
There was a little restaurant in a drug store near
the post office where I grew up that made a
really fabulous cheesecake.
Down the street and around the corner there
was a dime store. There, at the candy counter
were the most sumptuous malted milk balls I
have tasted to this day.
As a teenager, I found no substitute for my Mama's
chocolate cake.I am convinced that the woman
could take dirt up out of the yard and make it taste
good. Her chocolate sheet cake is not particularly
attractive but it tastes wonderful. The same thing is
true of her chocolate chip cookies.
Mother tells that from the time my nephew Jon Michael
was a little fellow, he would be standing on the porch
holding a bag of chocolate chips any time he knew she
was coming to visit. Apparently, he felt much the same
as I about his Granny's cookies.
At Christmastime she makes fudge and divinity and Aunt Bill's
candy. How am I supposed to be able to pick what to draw
just from the things my Mother makes?
It is worth noting here that I have not even discussed her pies.
Especially the egg custard. And the cherry. Oh, and the pumpkin
at Thanksgiving.
On the subject of pies, I should mention that my husband
 makes an amazing caramel banana pie.
There is a restaurant in LeCompte Louisiana called Lea's that makes the most amazing pies.
If I had to choose a favorite from there it could take a
while.
So there is my dilemma. And I am not really all that much a sweet eater, but when I do, those would be my top choices.
Along with:
the bread pudding from Don's Seafood = bread pudding
or petit fours from Julia Ann's in Shreveport  or Petty's in Tulsa.
or the oatmeal cookies for the road from Fairfield Grocery in Shreveport.
Or maybe the lemon loves from the Neiman Marcus in dowtown Dallas near the
Farmer's Market.
or it could be a chocolate paperbag  filled with angel food cake, sweet cream, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries from Trulucks in Dallas.
Or perhaps it would be the cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. I first fell in love with
the cheesecake at the location near Northpark Mall in Dallas. Now there's one near Penn
Square in OKC.
Also in OKC:
pastries from Full Circle Bookstore
or in Tulsa and/or Dallas, palmiers from Le Madeleine.
Or maybe it would be a  French Brest from the pasterrie across from our hotel in the Opera
District in Paris.
I'm just not certain what my favorite is and therefore cannot select one to draw. Maybe I should draw them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment