Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Re: scrapbooks, smashbooks and keepbooks

As a child I scrapbooked with my grandmother. She used old ledger books and binders and glued recipes and newspaper clippings onto the pages. I followed her lead (as I was prone to do) and attached my own school drawings, spelling bee and little olympian medals, etc.
Through high school and college I stayed with the same style of commemorating life events. When the modern scrapbooking craze erupted in the 1980's, I shied away from it in favor of what I was accused to: glue in clippings and adhesive photo albums. My kids have photo albulms aplenty but their only scrapbooks have kraft paper pages and gold stringed bindings.
I did dabble a bit in the more modern stuff when my baby child was in high school, mostly for the reason that the cheerleading, snow and water skiing, gymnastics and various other stickers she pointed out to me were so doggone cute.
It wasn't until I was a new grandmother and someone gave me a grandbaby scrapbook kit  that I really made the shift.
Since then, I've developed something of an obsession with scrapbooking and its various forms.
This weekend, my bestie are headed out to a scrapbook convention. The same child who helped initiate me into the sport (I have decided scrapbooking deserves such a classification) views this level of participation as "ridiculous." She has, however,  offered to put us up for the night, since the convention is in the city where she lives.
There are various workshops we hope to attend on techniques that are, at present, outside our  level.
I am also interested in learning new ways to scrapbook that take less time and space than what we've been doing.
Two of those types I've tried recently:
an old school "keepbook" and a more modern smashbook.
The KEEPbook is something I was inspired to make when I could not find a bride's or baby book for gifts that contained signature lines for shower guests, etc.  and decided to make my own.
As I understand a SMASHBook: Basically you glue in your photos, memorabilia (tickets, programs, leaves, flowers, recipes, newspaper and magazine clippings, hand prints, etc.), and any notes you want to make. At least that's what I have been doing with mine.
My own grandbaby is smashing right along with me, the way I did with my Grandmother. Hopefully, I will have some new things to teach her once I attend this weekend's conference and we can branch out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment