Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day two spent touring Rome...


...started earlier as most days on the trip did. Our tour of the Vatican museum would be over before the museums opened to the public.
From the Galleries of the candelabra, maps and tapestries to the Laocoon, the room of Greek and Roman busts...the Vatican collections were almost too much to take in. The mosaics were especially impressive. (I am considering a post on those alone!)
I loved the Cortile Della Pilgna, a huge bronze pine cone in a niche between two peacocks that was once part of an ancient Roman fountain.
My neck and eyes were as tired as my feet by the time we'd finished. I wasn't sure just where to look. In every direction and on every surface there was something remarkable. I probably looked as if I was doing the hokey pokey as I walked along those long corridors. I would look up, down, all around. Here there was jewelry and vestments worn by the Popes through the Centuries in ornately painting wardrobes and cabinets. Frescoes, carvings, sculpture. Ancient works by famous artists were everywhere.
In and out, up and down, we went. Our guide was determined to get us to the Sistine Chapel before it grew go crowded with groups and individuals that we could not enjoy it as we ought.
My sister observed how odd it was that we would rush through galleries containing works by such artists as Matisse.
I seemed to be forever lagging behind taking pictures.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment