Monday, April 30, 2012

In and Around St. Peter's Square


We spent the time immediately after  our tour of the Vatican museums hanging around Vatican city.
Our tour of the area  under the Vatican buildings and the Basilica, called the Scavi tour, was so close in time that we opted to stay close by.
Our first order of business was finding a place where I could purchase blister packs. My new shoes did a number on my heels through the museums and there were miles to go before I slept.
We decided to eat lunch from one of the kiosks outside St. Mark's Square. It was a mistake. The Little Sister opted for a hot dog that looked and tasted unlike any hot dog any of us had ever known.  The Panini I got was edible but just barely.
After contending with the Italian version of a hotdog, the Little Sister elected to sit near the entrqance to the Basilica, where the preparations for Palm Sunday were ongoing. She rolled up her sleeves and pants legs and got some sun in the square and I expect did some fantastic people watching. It was interesting to watch the nuns and priests come and go in their official  regalia.  Many languages could be heard spoken.
The Middle Sister and I decided to wander through some of the gift shops around the square as we had not gotten the opportunity to stop at any of the shops inside the Vatican museums. I had my heart set on a cherub ornament for my Christmas tree. Cherubs abounded at the Vatican, etched and carved and drawn over doors and in corners. They were everywhere...except in the gift shops... or at least the kind I was looking for. We did find a lovely creche, much like the one set up every year at New York City's  Metropolitan Museum of Art, in the window of one of the shops. The set had many persons and animals attending the newborn King but no angels, which was just as well, as the pieces  were sold only as a set and was well beyond my price range.
I had predecided what sorts of things I wanted to bring back with me and my imaginings did not not match the shop wares.
 We did find some interesting books in the Vatican's bookstore, where those who come from around the world to study various disciplines purchase their text books. Volumes on the history of the Catholic church, sacraments and exorcism, among others, were available in many languages.
I did find a small trinket box for each of my sisters to commemorate the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment