Tuesday, September 11, 2012

On cooking...

Once upon a time I was a pretty good cook.
I didn't start out that way. The first meal I made for my husband after we married was tacos. They were awful though he was too kind to say so.
Over time, I got better. Having a child with special dietary needs forced the issue. Being a member of an organization that sponsored cooking schools and sold cookbooks helped.
My mother, who could take dirt out of the yard and make it taste wonderful tells a similar story. When she got married, she says she could only make fudge and pop popcorn. Over time, she also improved.  A stint as a restauranteer and cook helped. The family makes sure she gets lots of practice.
She often says that one grandson used to meet her on the front porch with a bag of chocolate chips whenever she came to visit.
By this time of year, we are all requesting what we want her to make for the holidays.
My husband is a cook of some renown himself. Between his mother and the women who cooked for her and his Grandmother, he learned to make some pretty amazing southern dishes. Meats and desserts are his specialty.The nephews request his scalloped corn for family gatherings.
The two of them, my Mother and my husband have taken the pressure off me over time.
I also fell out of practice.
  the children grew up and moved away.
  my favorite tv chefs sell mixes and delicious bottled recipes
   there are other things i prefer spending my time doing...
so these days I end up burning half of what I cook from inattention and sometimes end up injured.
That I am working on two cookbooks at the moment is rather ironic since I so seldom cook and when I do I burn myself, the food or both...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment