Tuesday, December 4, 2012

thanksgiving table


I am going to admit that this year, I particularly hated to take down autumn/Thanksgiving decorations. Autumn is my favorite season. Thanksgiving may well be my favorite holiday.
Many of the decorations I use were given to me by people I love very much. Some of them, I miss very much, too, which make reminders of them even more meaningful.

Other of the decorations I have used for many years. Those survived the childhoods of my children and several moves across several states. More recent acquisitions are the product of time I spent with my grandbaby making decorations.
 
Posted by Picasa
 
This year we made a cascade of falling leaving to hang from the light fixture in the diing room, over the table. I told her the story, earlier in the season, of how the first fall after she was born, she was colicky and I pulled a rocking chair into the breakfast room where she and I could watch the leaves fall. Her second autumn, she stood with me at the great wide windows of the same room and watched as the leaves "danced."The next year, we went outside and "danced" with them.
We decided it would be fun to make leaves dance inside, right over the dining table. And so we did.
  • Right over pieces of my mother-in-law's FriendlyVillage pieces that have been added to for my daughter's use.
  • Above my Grandmother's Currier and Ives Trivet.
  • Leaves "danced" above the dining table on this, my grandbaby's kindergarten year, over the paper mache Pilgrim and Indian couples I bought the year her Aunt Katie started kindergarten.
I truly hated to take it all down.
Even now, I am thinking about what to do for the Christmas season that we would enjoy as much.
Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment