Thursday, March 15, 2012

We can call her Abbie

We went to Louisiana for Christmas that year to visit family there. Every day, Baby Daughter waited for a call about a puppy.
Finally the call came on the day after Christmas as we traveled back to Oklahoma. "When can we see them," asked the baby daughter.
"Not for several days," said the parents.
Yet we did not have the car unpacked when my baby sister arrived with the news that she and y baby daughter were meeting my co-worker relative of the kennel owners for "just a peek" at the pups. I am not sure how all of that came to be but by the time the trio left the kennel, each of them had selected a puppy.
They picked out names for the dogs on the trip back. Our pup was a girl. My sister chose a boy puppy. They were named for the kids' favorite clothing store: Abercrombie & Fitch. "We can call her Abbie," Baby Daughter said, when I observed what a mouthful Abercrombie was.They were caramel in color; the combination of their gold poodle mother and a white maltese father. All of the puppies save one had the same coloring, or so I am told. I never went to the kennel. Not then, anyway.
The one different puppy went to my coworker. That puppy was black.When it was explained that these "Phantom" pups are "thrown" only so often, my coworker just had to have it. She has it still. A gorgeous girl name Zoe.They would be ready to leave their mother by mid-February.
The wait seemed forever to the Baby daughter.Finally, we were called to pick them up on Valentine's Day. Baby Daughter walked in with the tiny fur ball pictured above. The red ribbon they'd tied around her neck was the only thing that kept us from losing her when we put her down on the winter grass. She was an exact match to its color and also to the carpeting in the den.
I recall there being birth announcements mailed out announcing the arrival of Abercrombie and Fitch. They were quite the pair about town that first Spring. To basketball and baseball and tee ball and tennis matches they went. I am told that demand for Malitpoo puppie swamped the breeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment