Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Big hair envy

I will go ahead and admit that one of the reasons I want to dress up for Halloween as the bride of Frankenstein is because she has big hair.
I have always, always wanted big hair. Likely it is the era in which I was raised.
 My mother used to wear a "wiglet" and had it teased and sprayed into her hair to made it stand way high.
All the ladies in the church choir had big hair.
A look back at photos taken throughout my life reveals that I have had the same hairdo since I was approximately 5. The brown football helmet description used by the Julia Roberts character in "Steel Magnolias" to describe her mother's couiffure would fit my hair, as well.
I have tried to deviate, with mixed results.
Once I tried darkening. I warned the beautician that my hair "grabs" color. My hair, albeit temporarily, ended up so black it cast purple.
I have tried lightening but somehow it always fades to a putrid shade of red.
I have gotten highlights. They usually work out alright.
But it's the volume I seek. No amount of product or teasing or technique can accomplish this... I have been no more
My hair, like my children, basically does what it wants to do.
I believe that I can literally watch it fall (read: wilt) even before I have the cap back onto the hair spray can.
That would be me with the brown football helmet hair.
 ( Both of my little sisters have darling little
pixie hair cuts!)
My middle sister has thick, voluminous hair.  I have called it "horse hair" but only because I am so jealous. Several of my friends have hair so thick that they go to the salon to have it "thinned out!"
Now I know, that in the scheme of things, flat fair is not a big deal.  I know that amid all the issues with the economy and global warming and famine, hunger and warfare, big hair is actually a very small deal. I just think I could deal with the world better if my hair stood taller...

No comments:

Post a Comment