Sunday, September 22, 2013

Grandma tendencies

My paternal Grandmother was born in 1906. By the time the Great Depression came around she was old enough to be profoundly impacted by it, like many of her generation.
It meant she was green before being green was stylish. Of necessity and then out of habit, I expect.
She reused everything. One thing she did was make grocery lists, etc., on the backs of receipts and small sacks.
I was reminded of that  this weekend when I found the sack my grandbaby had gotten a donut in with all manner of drawings and doodlings on it. Grandma would be so proud that her great-grandchild is reusing a sack, particularly one from Fred's Daylight Donuts, for her artwork.
My grandbaby has always had drawing tablets and sketch pads, coloring books at her disposal. That she would choose to draw on the back of a sack just tickles me. And makes me think her Great-great-grandma.
Later in the day we went to my Mom's for a family dinner. There my grandbaby played outside for hours with her just younger cousin who is named for Grandma. This particular of her progeny carries not just her name but many, many of her tendencies and expressions.
I wondered, as I watched them play, if she was not just an awful lot like them when she was a little girl playing on her family's farm in Arkansas. Should they grow up to possess other of her tendencies, life will be fun for them and interesting for the rest of us.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment