Monday, March 25, 2013

three splendid meals

 
Posted by Picasa
There are many fabulous places to eat in Natchez, Mississippi. On our first day there, we ate at three of the best. The sisters let me choose our breakfast locale on the first morning of our trip. I chose to eat at the Eola. I woke up that morning thinking about their cheese grits. Theirs are second only to those made by my mother-in-law for special events, back in the day. She used lots of garlic in her version and served them from a silver chafing dish. The grits at the Eola were just as I remembered. I washed them down with Community Coffee and started my day as happy as a clam.
Baby Sister had read rave reviews about Uptown Grocery on Urban spoon or some like blog and we opted to have lunch there.
It more than lived up to its hype. We ate on the lite side as we had reservations, made some months ago, for the restaurant at Monmouth where we stayed.
The evening meal, in the restaurant now situated in the parlor, featured a five course meal. We skipped pre-dinner appetizers though not the mint juleps made by Roosevelt, who has been serving them up in General Quitman's study for so many years that he is now fairly famous for them. The mint for the juleps is reported to be grown there on the grounds.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment