Saturday, March 28, 2015

My pretty baby

My baby is pretty and sweet and very smart. She is also a very good friend.
I know I cannot be objective where she is concerned so I will tell you this story and see if you don't agree.
About this time last week we learned that her the mother of her longtime friend and roommate had died very suddenly. My baby gets in her little pearl white vw bug and heads out immediately in the direction of her best good friend. She kept her on the phone until family reached her and then called her dad and I to let us know where she was and why.
When we attended the memorial service on Friday, here is what we were told by various members of the family and others close to them.

My baby:
helped with the funeral arrangements, including the program.
she helped select burial clothing, the casket and flowers to rest on it.
she accompanied family to the cemetery where a plot was selected.
she wrote the eulogy.
she fielded calls.
she sat up with, and laughed with and cried with her friend and the rest of the family.

On Saturday, even as I begged her to come home and crash and let us baby her until she was rested.
She declined and instead drove better than two hours back to an event at her school. She even got dressed up for the event, since it was formal and quite important.
The picture below is what she sent me as she was leaving to attend.



I am not quite sure how she pulled it off, given what the days previous had demanded of her.
Another friend who is also a classmate texted me a copy of the program for the evening.  My baby got more awards, or so I am told, than any other single attendee.
I've always been proud of her. She has been a constant source of joy to her dad and me. I am very proud of her academic accomplishments, which are many.
But at this moment, I am overwhelmed with pride at her depth of her care and concern for others and with her ability to demonstrate that while taking care of her own business.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of her too. She is an amazing person. Great job to you and T.

    ReplyDelete