Monday, November 4, 2013

weather predicting by persimmon

I've heard stories, since I was a child, about how the weather can be predicted by moss on trees, animals coats, the migratory pattern of birds. I've also read about such things. I used to read the Farmer's Almanac with great interest and some of those methods were often featured somewhere therein.
What I had not heard, at least until last Saturday, is that weather can be predicted by looking at seeds.
My brother-in-law was telling my grandbaby and his about how there are deer eating permissions under a tree near the house most mornings when he awakes.
When he mentioned permissions, my sister recalled reading something about persimmon seeds being predictors in the fall of the weather for the upcoming winter months.
She read to us from a search on her phone that one of three shapes can be distinguished inside the seed of a persimmon.
The shape of a knife is supposed to mean the weather will be sharp and icy.
The shape of a spoon is supposed to mean much snow to scoop.
The shape of a fork is supposed to mean mild or temperate weather.
The little grand girls, hers and mine, were sent out to gather persimmons from under the breakfast tree of the deer. They came back in with their little hands full and we began the tedious process of splitting the persimmons open in search of cutlery shapes. 
With the first one, we all agreed that we had the shape of a knife. Unhappy with the result (we love snow but do not like ice) we kept searching hoping for a difference result.
My mom arrived and weighed in on the shapes at some point in the evening. She had to acknowledge the shape we found in the seed was that of a knife. Every seed told the same story. If the legend is true, we've got a sharp, icy winter ahead. I personally hope its not true.  But at least we are forewarned and have a chance to prepare just in case.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment