Monday, November 4, 2013

halloween naps, costumes, carnivals and candy

 I was all excited about participating in an event called "Trick or Treat on Main Street" put on by the merchants in the small town where we live. Last year's inaugural event surpassed everyone's expectations in terms of participation. It was a lot of fun. I expected this year's to be even more so.
I was all prepared to go when an emergency issue detained me at work. By the time I was able to leave for the event, my grandbaby was already home, out of her costume.
Having just recovered from some bad bug, she claimed need of a Halloween nap before trick or treating on her own street. She didn't last long on main street, I was told, and from the looks of her on my arrival, I thought she might forego the next phase of things altogether.
I was able to exact a smile from her and then another but she did not budge from the sofa, even when her granddad arrived with hotdogs and frito chili pies.
It wasn't until the first ring of the doorbell that she decided this was no time to rest.
Little costumed folk came to the door earlier this year than I ever remember. This may be because once they finished on main street they went immediately to residential areas to continue on in their candy quests. The grandbaby has always loved handing out candy at the door. Eventually, she put on her costume and moved out to the porch to pass out treats from a big orange bowl.
Finally, we were able to coax her down the street, to a neighborhood party and stops at a few houses.
 
It turned out, in the end, to be one of the more fun Halloweens we've celebrated with her. The weather was beautiful. The baby daughter had come home from law school and was able to participate in our activities.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment