Friday, February 5, 2016

Chapter 6: figure out who you can count on

This is actually a life lesson, not just a bit of advice for those planning a wedding. Not everyone who offers help is sincere. And if you count on help from someone who cannot be counted on, well, that's not a good thing.
Now understand that a group of friends and co-workers I have frequently referred to as "my posse" showed up with irons and ironing boards and pressed table cloths for hours on end. They also took pictures,  played music, and helped with everything from coats to entertaining the youngest wedding guests (aka: the children.)
One was roped into being the wedding director when it was determined at rehearsal that no one had been assigned that particular task. Another, who by providence, possesses the authority to officiate at weddings, did just that when the person who was originally supposed to play that role could not.
There were people who came through in spades; some were asked and some just showed up like the good samaritans they are.
But there were also those who offered or were asked to perform a function (mostly the former) who did not come through at all. Why, in moments of optimism or weakness (read fatigue and frustration)
I failed to make a "B plan" in case of non-performance I am not sure. Certainly, I know better. My life experiences up to now should have demonstrated clearly to me that I ought to have. I did not.
The results were understandbly predictable.
We went rushing around at the last minute trying to do what we thought had already been done and finding what we thought was already found. Both my husband and our able planner asked if I was certain these people/things would come to fruition. I responded in the affirmative.
I don't mean now to be negative, but I want you to know how important this is. In weddings, as in life, you must know who you can count on. And you must figure out who you cannot count on. This one is a biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment