Thursday, February 11, 2016

Chapter 9: What will wear you out

I've already discussed what a lot of work I've seen weddings to be. This chapter/post is not about physical fatigue. This is all about emotions.
I am talking about short fuses and major frustration. Some of this angst is likely unavoidable, but where you can avoid it, my best advice, it to avoid it, for everyone's sake.
My major frustrations (what wore me out) usually regarded either the previously discussed lack of communication or a sudden change of plans. It is that latter part that is my focus here.
I will own that part of the problem here is me and my own personality bent toward seeing a thing through once it's decided. I tend not to be flexible or fluid in ways my own mom, my husband and several of my good friends are. Make a plan and stick to it could be my nickname.
So, when suddenly the placement of the the tables or who would be at the wedding site to receive the flower delivery changed, I didn't handle it well.
I am a planner and a list maker. It is not yet mid February yet I pinned a fall decoration I fully intend to use seven or eight months hence on Pinterest last evening. I have been accused of writing things on one of lists only to be able to mark it off. These are not exaggerations and I reiterate them to set the point that I needed to have been way more flexible (there's that word again) than I was or found myself able to be.
The bride delayed making many decisions because she simply did not have the time and opportunity to make them ahead of time.  She really didn't want me or anyone else making them so many of the decisions were made last minute or forced upon her.
The details, usually my favorite part of any endeavor became burdensome, mostly because there were so many of them. When details (or large things, for that matter) go ignored or just undecided, chaos is inevitable.
My best example of this is the bridemaid's dresses. We looked at any number of them at bridal shops when we were shopping for the bride's own attire. The one bridesmaid that was with us at the time was not so much in the mood to try on dresses as to see bridal gowns tried on, that being the whole purpose of the trip.
We texted and emailed pictures of dresses back and forth for weeks. It was finally decided that the quorum of attendants who traveled to Dallas for the bachelorette weekend could try on and select dresses while they were there.
For a variety of reasons that didn't happen. We were back to picking out gowns we thought would flatter everyone and sending them to the location nearest them to be tried on and hopefully, purchased.
In the end, the dresses ultimately ordered arrived some ten days AFTER the wedding. That they were first back ordered and then for some reason hung up in customs somewhere made for ever so much anxiety for this mother-of-the-bride. This is the kind of thing, that will, to quote my mother-in-law, "smooth wear you out."
Try to avoid that happening, for everyone's sake.


No comments:

Post a Comment