Monday, August 11, 2014

IXXXVIMMXV

The title of this post is the date my baby daughter will become someone's wife.
They've picked a date.
It is September 26, 2015.
I hashed it out in Roman Numerals so that I might have it engraved on a bracelet for her.
I told her that once I do, the date is set in stone (or at least in silver.)
She was nonplussed.
I think I know why.
There is a Christmas ornament that has long hung on our tree that reads "Baby's First Christmas 1980." I received it as a gift at one of my baby showers in December of 1980. It is beautiful and certainly would reasonably have fit for a child due December 8 of that year. Problem was, Christmas came and went and then New Year's. also, and no baby.
She was born January 2, 1981. Every year when we hang that ornament, we laugh about her taking her own sweet time arriving. The baby daughter has grown up hearing the ornament story. It should not surprise me then that when I said you can't change the date after I order the bracelet she said, "why not? It would be just be funny."

No comments:

Post a Comment