Thursday, June 27, 2013

the picture over Grandma Great's bed

 
My maternal great grandmother lived just two houses away when I was little. The only thing between her house and mine was a grocery store that just happened to belong to my great-aunt. Though Grandma great died when I was still young I have strong memories of her. One of the strongest in the photo that hung above her bed. It was a picture of a beautiful angel watching two children cross a bridge.
This angelic being was their "guardian angel" Grandma great said. She was a bitty little thing whose was so gentle that her grown children called her mommy but such a force to be reckoned with that others called her ma'am.
Her voice was so strong and certain when she spoke of Divine protection that I never  doubted her. I was as sure it was true as I was that she would give me shiny coins and a pretty handkerchief for my birthday every year.
I remained convinced of protection from heavenly beings.  That truth is borne out in the Bible. And while the form they take may vary in truth from that image hanging over the bed of my beloved great-grandmother, time and experience have cemented her belief in my own mind.
And something else, I am certain about:

Romans 8:38 New Living Translation (NLT)

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment